Lionel Messi, champion with the Argentine National Team in the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, was chosen as the best player of the year in the traditional ranking that is drawn up annually and made official by the English newspaper The Guardian, ahead of the Frenchman Kylian Mbbapé.
“After a 2021/22 offseason, his first at PSG, no one knew what to expect from Messi at the World Cup. But he came back from the European summer spitting fire. He scored goals and provided assists in the French championship and then led Argentina to glory for the first time since 1986.“, assured the newspaper justifying the first place of Rosario.
This is the sixth time that Messi has finished at the top of the top 100 of The Guardian and of the 206 voters, 156 chose him as number one in the world in 2022.
The striker also appears on the podium Mbappe, PSG figure and scorer of three goals in the Qatar final against Argentina, and another Frenchman third, Karim Benzema, of Real Madrid and who did not play in the World Cup because of a tear.
The Guardian’s Top 10 in 2022
1) Lionel Messi (Argentina-PSG)
2) Kylian Mbappé (France-PSG)
3) Karim Benzema (France-Real Madrid)
4) Erling Haaland (Norway-Manchester City)
5) Luka Modric (Croatia-Real Madrid)
6) Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium-Manchester City)
7) Robert Lewandowski (Poland-Barcelona)
8) Vinicius Junior (Brazil- Real Madrid)
9) Thibaut Courtois (Belgium-Real Madrid)
10) Mohamed Salah (Egypt-Liverpool).